Sunday 23 October 2016

Day 296 - October 22nd

This morning we drove the short distance to Skegness. I've mentioned before on my blog that Skegness was a regular holiday destination for my family when I was a child in the 1960s/70s.



It was bright and sunny but quite windy and the sea was very choppy.



We watched a couple of surfers trying to catch some waves.




We walked to the end of the pier but the tide was going out and the water was only just at the end of the pier.



The Jolly Fisherman statue which was erected in the Tower Garden and we saw when we last visited Skegness six years ago was looking good against the blue sky.



Beyond the Tower Gardens, the boating lake I remembered so fondly from my childhood had been greatly improved and was almost unrecognisable.



Gone were the motor boats which we spent hours going round and round the lake in and in their place were rowing boats and pedalos. 


Beside the boating lake, Lara tried her hand at steering remote control boats round a much smaller lake. She was quite chuffed when she managed to get the boat to pass underneath a bridge!



I was really pleased on this visit to Skegness to find 'The Fairy Dell'. When we last visited Skegness I had been unsure where this was and so hadn't found it. On our childhood family holidays we always visited the Fairy Dell paddling pools. Dressed in swimsuits and armed with water toys which on at least one occasion included an inflatable canoe, my brother and I and our friend David spent many hours playing in the water whilst the adults sat and watched us.



The paddling pools and fountain (although closed for the season) didn't look very different than they did 40+ years ago but a sign stated that the site had been totally restored in 2006 with new fountains and jets, safety surfacing and ramps to allow easy access. Its good to see the paddling pools still in existence and I wonder whether children  enjoy them as much in today's hi-tech world as we did back in the 60s and 70s.

After our trip to Skegness we returned to our holiday home. Its located on a  working farm so before dinner we went for a stroll along the footpaths which cross the farm. One path runs alongside the riverbank ... 



.... whilst another goes down the middle of the field where cabbages or maybe cauliflowers (?) were growing.



We rounded off the day with a relaxing dip in the hot tub,


1 comment:

Juliet said...

Wow! That was quite a trip down memory lane in Skegness for you! I only visited once - I think in the early eighties?