Wednesday 25 February 2009

Day 56 - 25th February (Ash Wednesday/Donut Day)

I can't believe that three of my last four days photos have been of food! What does that say about me???

In our house Ash Wednesday is also known as 'Donut Day' and we eat 'Bedfordshire Donuts'. I'm not sure where this tradition came from and it seems kind of strange to be eating these sweet treats given that Ash Wednesday is the start of Lent and a period of abstinence. I think some countries eat a type of donut on Shrove Tuesday, But in our home it's on Ash Wednesday and our home is not the only home in Bedfordshire that I know does this. The tradition seems to go back many, many years. My Nan used to make the donuts for the family, then when she passed away my Mum took on the role. I guess one day it will be my job. The donuts are actually very similar to Welsh Griddle Cakes made with currants and cooked in a pan on the hob. They are delicious and looked forward to every year.


1 comment:

joanold said...

What a lovley family tradition. I hope you keep it going.