Wednesday 11 March 2009

Day 70 - March 11th

I went to Hitchin again this morning. This small green shed standing the Market Place is an 'Edwardian Cabmen's Shelter' originally built to provide shelter and hot food for the drivers of hansom cabs and hackney carriages. It used to stand outside the Railway Station, was then sold and used as a garden shed in a private garden, before being donated to the town at which point it was restored and moved to the Market Place. Very few such shelters survive. There are 13 in London, all Grade II listed buildings, plus a handful of others (including this one) in other parts of the country.

2 comments:

joanold said...

I remember seeing these in London when I used to go up and see my Nan when I was a child. I'm so glad some of them have been preserved.

Deb said...

What an unusual building - I have never seen one like that before. great photo.