Sunday 1 November 2009

Day 299 - October 26th

"Happy Birthday to me,
Happy Birthday to me,
Happy Birthday to meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee,
Happy Birthday to ME!"


Today is my birthday! I've been thoroughly spoiled with lots of presents including some lenses for my camera.

We decided to go to Hunstanton for the day. We saw the famous striped cliffs. They show a slice of Britain’s history over many million years. White Chalk from the Upper Cretaceous era forms the top layer, followed by a layer of limestone, known as red chalk from the Lower Cretaceous period formed over a period of 15 million years and finally beneath is grey/green Carstone. As both the red and white chalk contains fossils the beach is a magnet for keen fossil hunters.









Later we went to the Sea Life Sanctuary to see the fish, sharks, seals, penguins, otters and other creatures









Just before leaving we drove past Hunstanton Lighthouse. The lighthouse is now a private holiday home that you can be hired. Next to the Lighthouse are the ruins of St Edmund's Chapel which dates back to 1272 and it is claimed that it was built by monks to celebrate the arrival by St Edmund in 855.











When we got back to the cottage I was surprised with a lovely chocolate birthday cake. No photos of me blowing out the candles - my family are just as reluctant to pick up the camera and take photos as they are to have photos taken of them!


2 comments:

Coffeedoff said...

Happy birthday belatedly!

Deb said...

Oh happy belated birthday to you Karen - it sounds as if you had a lovely day with lots of nice presents. Its my birthday soon but I am getting worried as no one has asked what I want, so I may get nothing or something I don't need!!
Love those striped cliffs - how interesting. Did you find any fossil's?